Monday 14 May 2012

To Intern or Not to Intern…That is the Question!


Internships seems to be a popular talking point at the minute. So, after interning for a year, I thought I’d give my two pennies worth (if that’s the right phrase?!)….

Many employers are accused of exploiting their interns, but how can they be exploiting someone who knew exactly what they were being hired for? I completed a years internship working in marketing and knew exactly what I was getting myself in for. Yes the tasks were tedious, yes the money was pants and yes I would have preferred a paid job, but it was the experience I wanted and needed and that’s exactly what I got!

I started packing brochures and writing repetitive emails but that comes with the job title I guess. You’ve just got to persevere, show enthusiasm and you’ll be rewarding in the end! I was anyway, my work kept me on part time whilst finishing my final year of uni then hired me full time straight after finishing. Proof that a one years internship pays off right?

Don’t get me wrong it’s not all plain sailing! There were many times I got a bit depressed about the rubbish wage and even more so when I worked out what I was on an hour…£1.34! I did consider getting a weekend job to help finance it, but I’m glad I didn’t. That way I was still enthusiastic and committed to my job, instead of being tempted by more money at a more rubbish job (I’m good at English really!)

My advice is make the most out of it and think about what’s at the end of the rainbow so to speak. It’s all experience and that’s what counts…. How old does that make me sound?   

No comments:

Post a Comment